Unless you are a minimalist or expert organizer, most of us could benefit from additional space in our homes. From clothes to toys to keepsakes, our home can easily become overrun with possessions, leaving homeowners overwhelmed and looking for ways to carve out more space. One such way to create space and improve the functionality of a room is with a Murphy bed kit.
A Murphy bed is a bed that is hinged at one end so it can be lifted to a vertical position for storage purposes. When in a stored position, the floor space is open and available for daily living. Read more about the history of the Murphy bed here.
If having additional sleeping and livable space is appealing, you might be surprised to learn that adding a Murphy bed does not require a contractor or home renovation crew. Yes, this can be a DIY project that you complete yourself or with the know-how of a capable buddy. Not sure which room could benefit from a Murphy bed? Here are a few practical ideas.
- If you live in a small condo or apartment, adding a Murphy bed to a living room or area where ample wall space is available can easily add an additional “bedroom” for overnight guests.
- A home office is a great space to convert into a cozy bedroom with a quick pull of the Murphy bed’s handle or grip.
- If you need an existing one-bedroom to accommodate additional sleepers, a Murphy bed can add another sleeping space with minimal area required.
- Any playroom, craft room, or family room can serve as a dual-purpose room with the addition of a Murphy bed.
- If you need more storage and sleeping space in a particular room, a Murphy bed kit with cabinets or storage shelves can be a great option.
For additional ideas, get inspired with these DIY videos.
Want to learn more?
Proudly manufactured and assembled in the USA, Create-A-Bed is operated in Louisville, Kentucky, and has several Create-A-Bed Murphy Bed options available. You can visit our showroom or contact us to see what we can do for you.